In this course, you will learn about the methods used in the municipal water industry to assess cost, risk and environmental impact.
The course is suitable for delegates with no prior knowledge of the topics and provides an understanding of the individual methodologies and how they are applied. It is delivered in two sessions:
* Session 1 Morning: covers water industry methods used for assessing cost, risk and environmental impact:
- life cycle analysis (LCA) methodology for determining environmental impact: scope, inventory and data sources, data capture and processing, impacts
- risk assessment: Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Failure Mode Effects & Critical Analysis (FMECA), Compliance and Event Risk Indices (CRI and ERI)
- life cycle cost analysis – capital and operating expenditure (CAPEX and OPEX), discounting and inflation, net present value (NPV).
* Session 2 Afternoon: optional workshop on membrane technology cost trends in water and wastewater treatment:
- membrane technology cost components – factors determining CAPEX and OPEX trends (with reference to key parameters such as flow capacity, net flux, staff effort, etc) for reverse osmosis, microfiltration/ultrafiltration and membrane bioreactor technologies
- cost trends and sensitivities for key membrane applications - seawater desalination, raw water filtration for potable supply, and wastewater treatment for discharge or reuse.
These two sessions may be taken either individually or combined in a single day.
The afternoon workshop is aimed at those with an active interest in membrane technology. It provides an insight into the investment and operating costs associated with the processing of water and wastewater by membrane technologies. Delegates are encouraged to discuss their own experiences regarding membrane process design and/or operation to allow the cost trends generated to be adapted to their own specific set of circumstances.
At the end of the course, delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
Morning: Modes of assessment in the water industry
||Introduction: Water industry governance, regulation and modes of assessment
||Introduction to Life Cycle Analysis: LCA methodology – data sources & processing, analysis and impacts
||Introduction to Risk Assessment : Risk, Failure Mode Effects (& Critical) Analysis (FMEA & FMECA), impacts & indices
||Introduction to cost assessment: Life Cycle Cost Analysis LCCA key terms: CAPEX, OPEX, discounting, inflation & NPV
Afternoon: Optional workshop – Cost analysis with a focus on membrane technology
||Membrane technologies: process description – RO, MF/UF, MBR: key CAPEX & OPEX elements
||CAPEX and OPEX data trends, membrane processes: RO, MF/UF, MBR process cost determination
||CAPEX and OPEX data trends, applications: Seawater desalination, raw water filtration, wastewater treatment/reuse